11.26.2013

handmade holiday // pine cone tree garland


there are bits and pieces of christmas all over our home and i love it.  the cheerful presence of the holidays freckled throughout our nest takes me back to a special time of my youth when hot cocoa with extra marshmallows was an evening ritual.  as a little girl, i looked forward to decorating our home almost as much as i looked forward to running down the hallway on christmas morning to see the presents stacked high under our tree.  when decorating, there was always music.  always jolliness.  and i always went overboard, just ask my mom.  i recall her telling me on more than one occasion, "no, not thaaat one this year!" in reference to a really ugly piece of decor where disproportionate amounts of sequence and holiday fluff were involved.  but there was no such thing as "ugly christmas decorations" to me.  in fact, the more the merrier and that included the most gaudy of holiday knick knacks. 

oh how things have changed.  as a mother of two and on the other side of the decorating game, i revere the beauty in simple holiday decor.  instead of it looking like santa threw up all over our home, i like things to be neatly and purposely placed.  i value quantity over quality.  sure it looks like the holidays are here, but done in a much more restrained manor from when i was a wee one.  that is, until stella grows up and demands more more more in reference to holiday paraphernalia and i then will just give in like all good mamas should.  

in keeping with beautiful simplicity this holiday season, here is a DIY that will take you all of five minutes.  if you have little ones, you can even go on a pine cone hunt with them beforehand like stella and i did.  and if you don't, well i suppose hunting for pine cones solo would be just as delightful as long as you've got a christmas album playing on your headphones.  i recommend this one, by the way. 

step one, gather materials.  


step two, tie pine cones on your candy cane striped bakers twine.


step three, place garland over a vintage map or the fireplace mantle or even over your bed.   

i think i am going to keep this sweet little decoration up for a better part of the new year.  it's just too darling not to. 

8 comments:

  1. Christmas is my favorite time of year, even more so now that I have a two year old to share it with. Every year, we add a new Christmas CD into the mix and I haven't heard of the one you mentioned before... but I'm in love. Thanks for sharing! That garland is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what are some of your favorite christmas albums!? i'd love to hear!

      xx, amanda

      Delete
  2. I really wish I had about half of your editing/phototaking skills. You seriously take the best pictures. Do you edit the pictures that you take with your DSLR with VSCO? I want to ask on Instagram but I'm too shy... so I'll remain anonymous. Plus, I'm definitely developing this idea into my room. It's way too cute/clever not to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are too kind! i am a total amateur. we have a nice camera and iPhoto that does all the work. ;) they are taken with a canon rebel EOS which we got at Costco. and seriously, no need for anonymous here! we're all friends!

      xx, amanda

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adore Christmas time! It's my other half's favorite holiday so he lets me go all out on decorations and he doesn't care. I like adding a handmade decoration to the mix each year. I love the idea of pinecones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is awesome that he lets you be all festive and such!! how fun! totally the best time of the year.

      xx, amanda

      Delete