a few years back in 2008 i traveled to china to teach english at a language summer camp. it was in a beautifully old and historic section of bejing where we stumbled upon a lovely little tea house. i remember being mesmerized by the jade wall of tea tins lining the walls in more rows and columns than i could dare count. i thought they were beautiful and so i brought a few home.
since then, i have had my fair share of hot teas curled up on our couch. many mornings have been spent sipping and stirring my beloved beverage. so as you can imagine, my lovely green tin no longer is a home for tea leaves. for months, in fact, it sat empty, yearning to become a home for something else. for something important.
that's when i got the idea to make candles using beautiful and meaningful odds and ends i had around our home. my beloved tea tin is now a lavender scented candle, warming up our bedroom with its lovely glow and relaxing scent.
here's how i made it.
you will need:
a canister of sorts. like a tin or tea cup.
microwavable soy wax
candle wicks
scented oil
a match stick :)
to make these candles i melted the soy wax in a big glass bowl. once it was all melted (it took about 5-10 minutes) i added a few drops of the lavender oil. after securing the candle wick to the bottom of my tin with some tape, i slowly poured in the hot wax, making sure to hold the wick up straight. once the wax was in the tin, leaving about one inch room from the top, i used tape to make a cross in the center of the tin, helping the wick stand up in the liquid wax. then i left the candle outside to cool overnight. that was it! simple and lovely.
you can also use tea cups, vintage barware, and any odd or end that holds things to make your candles with.


I love this idea... They would make great gifts!
ReplyDeletethank you! they make great gifts, indeed!
Deleteamanda
Such a good idea. I've got hundreds of vintage tea cups I don't know what to do with so perhaps I shall make some of these ;)
ReplyDeletei am glad you found some inspiration josie! the little tea cups make sure sweet little gifts!
DeleteThis is such a great DIY! I have a bunch of tins from our wedding hanging about and now I know what to do with them. Thanks :)
ReplyDeleteI recently discovered your blog via Bridget Hunt's instagram and I can't stop reading and enjoying your pictures! Thank you for your refreshingly positive attitude and inspriation for a simple, happy life! I'm planning to make candles for holiday gifts thanks to your idea. I'm just wondering - do you know if it's ok to use essential oil to scent the candle (ok meaning will it not burn properly/not really give off much of a scent) or is it better to use scented candle oil ? I've just spent a fair amount of time googling it and can't seem to find a straight answer. People seem to make this more complicated than it needs to be, just curious of your opinion. Thanks in advance!
ReplyDeletethank you so much for your kind words! i have used some essential oils when candle making but found it does not give off a super strong scent. i like lavender and tea tree oils...but personally, i prefer them to be fairly neutral when it comes to smell so they do not interfere with our meals when we eat. hope this helps!
Deletexx, amanda