dear stella,
i love how you look at me, your mama, with those knowing eyes. those eyes that are speckled and freckled with brown and blue and grey and green, ever changing. like a rushing stream hugging rocks they glisten and sparkle and offer those within view quite a beautiful show. those are the eyes that curiously and impatiently wait for me to turn the page. to lick the spoon. to open the door. to run the bath. to offer a bite. such inquisitive eyes you have, my sweet baby girl.
those are the eyes that follow me across the room, widening like a sunrise and blinking fast like the sudden drop of falling rain. you can tell a story with those eyes. a story full of hope and wonder, because that, baby girl, is how you see this world. as if life were made of sugar, you always stick your tongue out to taste, and never fail to follow up with a discerning satisfaction reflected in those eyes as they squint and create the tiniest crinkle in your nose.
i love the way you look at life, baby girl. so innocently, so passionately. i love that you cannot sit on mama's lap for baby bounce at the library. did you know you're the only baby in the room who cannot sit still for more than 30 seconds? it's true. ...but did you also know that you know how to light up that room with your endearing spirit by the way you smile with those eyes? i am proud of you for that. and i don't blame you for not sitting, there is just too much beauty in this world to explore.
thank you for showing me how to be more patient and appreciative of the things in life i cannot control. like your new obsession with running + screaming when running + screaming isn't always appreciated by everyone else. you have given me a refreshing perspective on life by making the most out of little moments and by challenging to accept the fact that life is full of surprises.
i want you to always know that i encourage your independence and love that you roam around this wild life like a caged bird set free. but as your mama, i also want you to know that i will always be ready for you to find your way home, back to our nest where i will protect and care for you.
i will also always be ready for that moment when your eyes will lock with mine in a time of need, when all you need is a warm body and a kind look of compassion that we both know can heal way more than any amount of chocolate or wine. because that's what mama's do best. they hug hard and they fill you up with love when you think no one else will, sometimes without even saying one word. and when this life hits your hard in the face and flips you over on your back, your mama will be here to help you get up, wipe off that dirt, and to offer you an assuring look with her eyes that everything is going to be okay.
love, your mama

I loved this! Her eyes are so beautiful!
ReplyDeletethank you megan, hope you are having a wonderful weekend :)
Deletexo, amanda
this is soo precious! she is beautiful! :)
ReplyDeletethanks girl :) that means a lot! i hope you are having a beautiful weekend!
Deletexo, amanda
<3. <3. <3.
ReplyDeleteI think these letters are so sweet, on any site. But there's also something about them that feels like I'm invading your privacy. Like those words should be just for you and Stella to share. I wrote a letter to the little person living inside me and considered putting it on my blog, but it felt strange. I totally respect your decision to share this with the world and express the love you feel for your daughter. I guess I just feel like that's really private, I don't know. I don't mean this in a drama-llama sense, I just think it's interesting the different way that people approach the same thing. It shows you are confident in what you've written. I actually typed the whole post out, then couldn't bring myself to post it. Would people judge what I'd written? Would the little lemon drop inside be upset to know that someone else got to read his letter? The uncertainty made me delete it before I posted it. But in the end, it's all about love - overwhelming, overpowering, all-encompassing love - just for them. I like that you're giving her something to take with her, her whole life through. Very special.
ReplyDeleteHere's to little lemon drops, inside and out.
I never really thought about it from the readers perspective before. I thank you for your honesty and really appreciate you telling me how you felt. I suppose for now I feel comfortable posting some of these letters to Stella. I do about one a week and only share a few on the blog. I hope out of sharing them this blog reflects my honest feelings about Stella, no matter how personal. Who knows, one day I might change my mind! That's the beauty of being the blog writer though ;)
Deletexo, amanda
someday, your daughter will look back on these letters and feel more love than she ever imagined possible. these letters are so precious and invaluable, worth more than anything in the world.
ReplyDeleteyou're a wonderful mama. keep shining.
xo,
kristyn
organicgrey.blogspot.com
thank you so much for your kind words kristyn, i really appreciate it :) i have a little collection built up for her and when she is old enough to read we will start to look back over the years at these letters. i hope you are having a great weekend!
Deletexo, amanda
Such a beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful letter for your gorgeous girl to read one day. Lovely! X
ReplyDeletethank you for your sweet words lucy :) i really appreciate your kindness. hope you are having a great weekend!!
Deletexo, amanda
this makes me want to cry! oh my gosh this is the sweetest thing ever - and to think she will grow up and have these one day. lovely.
ReplyDeleteand i really want to name my daughter stella one day :D
<3 katherine
current giveaway on of corgis & cocktails
thank you kathrine, your sweet words made my day :) i can't wait for the day i can give her these letters to look back on as a young woman. hope you are having a beautiful weekend!
Deletexo, amanda
she really does have beautiful eyes. this was such a sweet post. :)
ReplyDeleteoh thank you hannah :) i hope you are having a great weekend!
Deletexo, amanda