4.26.2012

motherhood // my lunch date with stella





today i got the wonderful opportunity, also my very first opportunity, to go visit baby girl over my lunch hour.  it was take your child to work day at school, so naturally there were many students absent.  thankfully, a coworker and i teamed up and so we each got a longer break for lunch.  yippie!

like a bird let out of it's cage, i eagerly flew over to our sitter's home {about three minutes away} and found my little turkey sitting there like a big girl with her lady friends, in a semi-circle might i add, sucking down green beans and discussing how to solve the world's problems.  well, not really, but their adorably confident babble and self-assured head nods indicated that they knew perfectly well what the other was saying.  if only you could have been there!  they might as well have been 80 year old grannys sitting around playing a game of bridge.   

*be still my beating heart*

seeing miss stella sit there so calm and patient with the other little ones made me bubble over with happiness.  being the smallest one in the group, she observed the others very carefully, mimicking their eating habits and being very polite.  i could tell she was thinking, "mama, i a big girl now, too."  i sat there on the floor in a heap with teary eyes thinking to myself, "yes...yes, baby girl.  you are growing up so fast sitting there eating big girl food.  so, yes, i suppose you are a big girl now, too."  

together she and i sat while she finished her lunch.  afterwards we headed outdoors and played on a blanket in the grass.  she picked a few blades, i snuck a few smooches, and then as fast as i had gotten there, my time was up.  

a big part of me pouted on the inside, arms folded and all, for i was dreading going back for fear of missing out.  i anxiously thought to myself, what if she does this...or...what if she says that...and i am not there to see it?  this is a fear i have to combat daily as a working mama.  over time i have realized it's a pointless fear because it causes me more distress than good.  

knowing she is in wonderful hands, i put my big girl pants on and took a giant deep breath.  and you know what?  this fear started to slip away and new feelings took it's place.  i started to feel excitement and anticipation for what lies ahead in just a few short weeks: summer!  

the end of may will not only bring baby girl's 1st birthday, but also a long string of lunch dates i get to have with my little lady.  

...for that thought alone is what gets me through. 

16 comments:

  1. Your dad and I were just looking at your Instagram pics a little while ago and I was feeling sort of teary eyed just like you. I love this post Amanda-even if I did get teared up all over again! Those pictures are just priceless! Love you guys <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one! Don't you wonder what goes through their heads when they all interact like that. What would we do without our littles?!

    Happy Friday :)

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too sweet! She sure does look like such a big girl sitting there with her friends! Im glad you got to snap that picture its so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, mama! this is a photo we will always treasure :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  4. What a sweet story!! You must be such a proud mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you melissa! there is one proud mama over here :) thank you for stopping by!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  5. Aww, how sweet! She is adorable!

    http://vivikstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you miss vivi!! she's such a peach :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. thank you so much, dana :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  7. I stumbled upon your blog a while ago, and just had to comment on this post! It had me tearing up! I am a teacher as well and just yesterday I picked my daughter up from daycare to find her sitting around a table with two other kiddos of whom she was the youngest. I usually don't take her or pick her up (my hubby and mother-in-law do because it means less hours for her to be there) so the few times that I do are always bittersweet. She was sittin there with small pieces of broken up cracker- watching the bigger kids eating yogurt with spoons on their own. Looking like such a big girl, interested in how the big ones were eating! And my heart- like you explained hurt thinking of what I am missing when she is there everyday. I too, am eager for summer and all the time I will have with her and the memories we will make! We are also celebrating her 1st bday soon- May 19th, then shortly after is summer! Let the good times begin!

    Hope the end of the school year flys by for you!



    Amber

    Http://carrieradventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for sharing your sweet story with me! bittersweet is such a perfect word to describe these feelings. what grade do you teach? your little one and stella are so close in age, how awesome! i can't wait to pop over to your blog :) happy rest of the year to you as well....there are only a few more school days left!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  8. I'm another teacher/ mother! They seem to be a few of us on here! Love your blog design.Rx

    http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. three cheers for teacher/mamas!!! we are rockstars, you know? thanks for stopping by, mama!

      xo, amanda

      Delete