9.02.2015
homestead // my cleaning routine
it's an overcast and somewhat rainy day here in the midwest and it's clear that we are in a seasonal transition. summer has left its mark and boy was it a good one, full of newborn snuggles and family adventures. as sweet as that time was, we are eager for cooler temperatures, for morning walks amongst the crunchy autumn leaves, stews for supper, and more sturdy routine when it comes to how we structure our days. i am also ready to spend more time sharing here too in this journal of mine.
stella will be starting preschool next week (!) and so i have been spending our most recent days figuring out what our new rhythm will look like here at home. one way i am able to clear my mind and really reflect is to have a clean and tidy space. since we have been in our home for one year now, i have been able to really find a proper place for everything, cleaning tools being no exception. because scrubbing and tidying and organizing is part and parcel of a stay at home mama's job, i have made it a point to be intentional in finding joy in those tasks. such things like beautiful but practical tools with easy accessibility help make my time cleaning more enjoyable. with alfie wrapped up and snug on my chest, and the older two running about the yard or watching an episode of peter rabbit, i'll start my cleaning routine by making something in the crock pot for supper. tonight we are having thai curry chicken over coconut rice, an easy favorite. i like crock pot meals on days when i am giving everything a good scrub because the clean up after we eat is nothing more than a few plates and some silverware. the mess of meal-making is taken care of throughout the day as our supper cooks in one little pot. no mess and time to do other things! that makes me happy. after having prepared our supper, i'll throw on some music, usually david gray or louie armstrong, and diffuse oils around our home to help cleanse the air. today i did a mixture of thieves, nutmeg, and orange oil. not only does it smell like fall in our home, but it gets rid of pesky germs, too. a real win-win.
after having set the stage for my cleaning spree, i'll start with the dishes, do all surface areas, and sweep and mop the floorboards. i'll put a couple of drops of lemon oil on a warm wet rag and scrub everything down, no counter top being left unscrubbed. sometimes i'll substitute thieves oil for this, it just depends on my mood. lemon helps cut the grease so i tend to use that more often in the kitchen. when moping the floors, i'll add a few drops of tea tree oil to the mop rag and several drops of orange to make them shine and smell lovely. at the end of my cleaning routine, i'll soak my brushes in a mixture of vinegar, water, and essential oils (today i used rosemary) to keep them fresh and clean.
during this time i'll do a load or two of laundry, adding purification oil to the wash and spraying lavender mist on clothes when they've dried. now that we have three little ones, laundry is a daily task, so keeping up with that is a must for my mental clarity. aiming for one load a day has been the trick to keeping things manageable around here. and then there's the bathrooms, my least favorite. i'll do these one a week, often times neglecting the shower and leaving that for a twice a month job. i should probably scrub the tiles in there more often, but i don't. on the days that i do get to those tiles, i'll also wash our sheets and top layers of bedding. since most of it is white i am able to put it all together using a non-bleach alternative to get them looking really white. the laundress makes a good one. if it is sunny on days that i get to this chore, i'll line dry our linens. if not, a good tumble in the dryer is good, too.
where my cleaning supplies & tools are from:
- essential oils // young living
- wood shaker peg rack // the container store
- large broom // home goods
- french market bag to house rags // gifted back in college
- blue rag // schoolhouse electric
- black dust pan // an amish store in iowa, a gift from my mom
- ivory dust pan // world market
- duster // ikea
- laundry brush // the laundress
- dish scrub brushes // season and square, a store here in kansas city
so there you have it. it's moments spent doing such cleaning tasks around our home that help recharge me as a mom. since we live pretty simply and have eliminated clutter when we moved here, it takes about an hour, sometimes two, to really clean it. keeping up with this routine several times a week also helps keep that time to a minimum, rather than forgoing cleaning for many days and having to tackle one big mess, taking hours away from our day. i have found that this all works well for us. it gives me time to clear my head and also make our home a place we truly enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How do you defuse oils? I'm being dumb-sorry! Do you use a burner?
ReplyDeleteNot dumb at all! I use an oil diffuser, it came with my starter kit and we put in several drops of whatever oil and let it go! It's great!
Deletex Amanda
Love this post because your house always seems so sparkling clean! I feel like our floors are a never ending cleaning task. I have a newborn and a 2 year old and also try to clean daily like you. But man am I a zombie today. My number one motivator is to turn off the tv and play pandora. So now I'm inspired after reading this to get my crockpot and clean on :) thank you for that! I just love your Instagram and blog!
ReplyDeleteOh FLOORS. Ours are always dusty and it bothers me. I like them and my kitchen to be clean, first and foremost, and I sort of let everything else slide. The crock pot helps tremendously when I don't have time or want to cook! Doing BBQ chicken in it tonight :)
Deletex Amanda
I really wish I could figure out how to manage this cleaning-thing at home, but it became a mess when we moved in three years ago, and still are. Since being a stay at home-mum, it's my job to keep it clean and tidy, but I never seem to find that energy or time to make it happen, and I only have one baby here with me (or he's not a baby anymore, turning two tomorrow!) But I get really inspired from your words to get rid of a lot of clutter and make it easier for me to keep a home that I can relax and feel like it's a home I want to spend time in.
ReplyDeleteDecluttering helped us so so much in terms of keeping our home much tidier. I tend to purge things we do not use a few times a year and am getting ready to do another! A relaxing home is definitely more enjoyable. Happy birthday to your little one!
Deletexx Amanda
love the simplicity of it all. so peaceful.
ReplyDeleteAre there other oils I can diffuse to clean the air? Thieves had cinnamon bark, an oil I need to avoid while pregnant.
ReplyDeleteYes, Purificaiton is a great one, Lemon too!
Deleteso much purpose in every little thing :)
ReplyDeleteRecipe, please! x
ReplyDeleteI will work on it and post later this week :)
Deletex Amanda
<3
DeleteWas this posted? Just curious. It sounds yummy and it even looks good in the picture
DeleteMamawatters i realy like your photo and family , what your filter photo its so nice , i hope you reply me , i m your fans , dont dissapoint me 😔
ReplyDeleteI used my fancy cam for these pics :) But for IG I use VSCO!
Deletex Amanda
What filters do you use in VSCO?
DeleteMy baby is fast asleep. I'm drinking warm almond milk with lavender and honey. I'm diffusing lavender & Joy beside me. I'm reading about cleaning. My partner thinks I'm crazy. But you get it girl. You get it. I do have a question though! I'm curious, how much oil do you add to your laundry? I was doing this a couple months ago and odd oil marks were popping up on our stuff. At the same time I was also adding some to our wool dryer balls. So the dryer balls could have been the culprits. Also, do you spray your clothes with the linen spray before putting them in the dryer? Or after? Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteI add like four drops to the wash in the soap container and I have not found any oil marks, hmmm! What could that be from I wonder!? I spray my clothes right when I take them out, it's a combo of distilled water and essential oils. I change up the scent just depending but my favorite is lavender. The boys room always smells like it since I spray their linens with it regularly. :)
DeleteThank you kindly!
DeleteWhat an inspiring post! As a mother of a 4y old boisterous boy, with another due in 7 weeks after a difficult pregnancy- and with 2 dogs!- I was beginning to despair about the state of my home (especially the floors which are the bane of my life)! I've often wondered how you kept your beautiful home so clean and fresh and have just ordered some wooden brushes to replace my plastic ones- I agree that having beautiful tools really helps. Do you mind my asking how long you let the kids watch for when you clean? I struggle with anxiety and it is one area I find I have difficulty managing my guilt so I always feel frazzled when I need to get chores done. May I also second the request for your Thai chicken curry recipe please? Love your blog and congrats on baby Alfie x
ReplyDeleteI hear you on the whole screen time thing but I have found that letting them watch a good show or favorite movie helps me so much! We do not do a lot of TV over here and I much prefer outside play time but every now and again, they love curling up on the couch for a bit to watch something. I will write up the curry post soon, dear!!
Deletexx Amanda
Nice post.. Your house is always a dream to see. I love too love my YL oils, but I find when I clean with them my hands get really irritated. Does this ever happen to you?
ReplyDeleteI have never had that happen! Which oils are you cleaning with? Thieves is a hot oil and can irritate if not diluted...maybe that's the culprit?
Deletex Amanda
I think you will need to share some of your favorite crockpot recipes. So many that I've tried turn out so bland.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! I will definitely consider it, thank you!
Deletex Amanda
Your home is seriously dreamy! This post really has me considering incorporating essential oils into my family's life! I've always been interested in essential oils, but I've never taken the leap. My husband works in a hospital setting and he always seems to have some sort of cold no matter what he does. With the cooler months approaching I'm sure it will only get worse. I was wondering which oils you would recommend for cold prevention & how you would incorporate them. Any little snippet of advice would be so helpful! :)
ReplyDeleteHello there! We use oils to help boost our immune system and to make symptoms much better if we do fall ill. I love Theives, RC, Purification, Melrose, Lav, Peppermint & Oregano depending on what symptom I have. I like one drop in Thieves in honey for example if I have a sore throat, for example. If you want me to send you more info on how to order oils or just to know what they are and how we use them, email me at mamawattersblog@gmail.com !! x amanda
DeleteI love that you posted this and included your oil use. I use YL as well and follow both your personal and oil IG accounts. I had a baby mid-August and really enjoyed your labor & delivery IG posts with essential oils. I was wondering if you would consider doing a blog post or oil IG series on what oils you use with newborn Alfie or your two older children? I have the book Gentle Babies but find it confusing sometimes. I'm interested in if you use oils to help with milk supply, dry skin-cradle cap, and other newborn-younger children issues. Please keep up the blog and IG! I love your feeds. Thank you!!!
ReplyDeletethis is something i am working on for a fall post, yes yes! thank you for all the encouragement dear, it means so much. xx amanda
DeleteThis was definitely a helpful post and have gone back to it today in hopes to get a better routine down for keeping our home clean! I have a question in regards to toys. I feel as though that is the one area in our life that can get a bit out of control because of grandparents and such gifting them to our kids. How many toys do you keep out for them to play with? I have an almost 2 year old and 5 month old and it's hard at times to know exactly how much to have accessible for them. thanks!
ReplyDeleteForgive the intrusion, Amanda, but I had the same issue with toys until I read simplicity parenting. Such a helpful book for intentional living. Luckily we have a good enough relationship with the grandparents that we can suggest that if they simply must buy things for our kids, they could use bath toys, new Jammie's, a certain book, etc. We find this helps curb the nonsense-battery-powered-breaks-in-two-seconds toys.
DeleteSuch an inspiring post on finding joy in the daily duties of motherhood! I too enjoy making these tasks meaningful. There is something truly powerful about the transformation of cleaning, and especially cleaning up after small children. I am grateful for your encouragement in the beauty to be found here. Would you mind sharing what specific cleaning supplies you use to mop your floors? Do you do favor the old fashioned hands and knees approach? Or perhaps a mop and bucket? In your post you mentioned a mop rag. Your suggestions and advice I have found so helpful. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteI see you have Ginger in your photo but didn't see it in the post (unless I missed it) what do you like Ginger for? I got it in my ER order this month and have yet to use it! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHi there. I'm wondering how long you soak your scrub brushes. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteDo you find purification helps with stains in the laundry, or it purely for its aromatic properties?
ReplyDelete