9.02.2014

motherhood // keeping it simple


ever since i can remember i have always been someone who likes to plan.  i have a big, bold monthly calendar nailed to our kitchen wall i oh, how i love pulling back the old, tattered, scribbled on page to unveil a fresh clean month, only to fill it up again (quickly) with black ink.

i am like that with lists too.  i make them all the time, these long, overly-specific lists to commence my day, whereupon i strategize to tirelessly check those little boxes until each last one is no longer staring back at me, blank and pleading.  and i almost always add silly things to said list like both "load dishwasher" and "unload dishwasher" on separate lines.  sometimes "shower" makes my list.  a stay at home is obviously writing this post.

i have always felt the need to fill my plate extra high and i have no clue as to why.  i suppose it is just a part of who i am.  part of my makeup.  always feeling the need to have things in their proper place and written down and all tidy and always full.  which seems pretty great until the inevitable happens not too far down the road.

utter burn out and anxiety.

luckily, i am at the point in my life where i can sense it coming before it gets here.  like an eerie green cloud hovering before a storm, i see it looming overhead before it showers me with with agitation and unease.  it has not always been that way.  in the past i would recognize my anxiety mid-storm when all hell was breaking lose.  some rather unsavory happenings in years prior have taught the ways of listening and watching for those unwelcoming storm signals.  over time, i have learned how to lasso that ominous cloud and hurl it far, far away.  sensing that i am about to get worked up, these tools i have acquired have given me permission to retreat and edit parts of my life.  to cut away those sharp thorns so that the roses in my life can really be seen.

it boils down to this: simplifying always leads to satisfaction.

whether it be cleaning out my underwear drawer or getting rid of all my mis-matched dinnerware or saying so long to random toiletries in our hallway closet or keeping a week free of obligations out of a otherwise busy month...editing needs to be done.  by assembling my life in a simpler fashion i feel those dark clouds quite physically drift off into another direction allowing for more joyful feelings to take their place.

i must say, being left with a few choices instead of many is freeing in this regard.  it effortlessly forces me in a direction of peace and contentment.  when i had a free moment today i did just that.  i opened a few drawers, ruthlessly edited some of my belongings.  i filled a garbage bag and threw it in the back of my car to donate later this week.

i felt lighter.  less tense.  freer.  that green cloud i sensed this morning was gone.  i was now able to focus more on my kids, helping stella learn the letter "B" and help theo use his plastic fork.   it's not about these particular things you know, it's about making space.

i think as stay at home parent there is a need to fill up one's agenda in order to feel worthy and valuable.  this is true for me anyhow.  while i think playdates and field trips and outings are all well and good, i am learning that so too are quiet moments at home spent doing less exciting things like making dinner and folding laundry on the bed.  the older i get the more i know this to be true.

because we live in a world that rewards a fast pace, sexy, free-spirited, and independent lifestyle, the importance of being a young, wholesome mother that focuses on domesticity is sometimes overlooked, scoffed at even!  ridiculous as it is, i have been criticized, even ridiculed, for being a young mother, and a stay at home mother at that.  therefore, in my own fleshy and insecure mind as a parent it is sometimes difficult when reminding myself that simple is indeed really good.  truthfully, there are days when it is pretty hard being confident in that seemingly transparent but not culturally celebrated ideology.

so i tell myself all the time and mostly out loud, that quality is always better than quantity and by keeping a minimum of good rather than handfuls of so-so's is ideal.  because sometimes saying it helps, too.

as the months get crisper and leaves start to fall, this will be my personal goal as a mother.  probably after the fall and winter months, too.  to not just keep it simple, but be okay with it, and embrace it.

22 comments:

  1. Perfectly written. I've never related more to a blog post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I as well am going through an editing phase in life. It feels good with a toddler and another babe on the way, to make room in my house and heart for what we truly love and use everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have written every single word of this about myself if I had the words like you do! I am the exact same about lists and simplifying my home. I love your home and blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I have been feeling the same way lately. Being a stay at home mom is the best thing for me and my child-- maybe not for everyone, but for us it is good. It's hard to feel judged by others when they find out I don't have a job outside of my home, or even "something on the side" to make me feel accomplished, even though there is nothing in the world I'd rather do than be the one raising Ralphie. I just talked to my aunt about this over the weekend. She stayed at home with all her children, and told me that she has never once regretted spending the years at home with them. I felt so relieved and validated! You're doing wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if you saw this on Bethany's (@cloisteredaway) Instagram today, but this quote is exactly what my soul has needed: "Of all modern notions, the worst is this: that domesticity is dull. Inside the home, they say, is dead decorum and routine; outside is adventure and variety. But the truth is that the home is the only place of liberty, the only spot on earth where a man can alter arrangements suddenly, make an experiment or indulge in a whim. The home is not the one tame place in a world of adventure; it is the one wild place in a world of rules and set tasks." -G.K. Chesterton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post. You have a wonderful, elegant way with words. I absolutely do not want to criticize and I might be alone in this - but have you ever considered changing the font on your blog or making it a little larger? I find I have a hard time reading, and I so want to savor every word. Thanks for keeping it real and for being a positive reminder. It's truly amazing the restorative power of a good edit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. What a great skill to cultivate, being able to sense the storms of stress and anxiety as they approach and send the winds of simplicity to redirect their course. Thanks for sharing... I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like this is an ongoing theme with moms right now. And it feels good to know I'm not alone in this! Must be something in the air. I too make lists and get anxiety. I'm trying to accept that simple is okay. That what I'm going is a gift to my children and myself. Thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A post I will read again and probably again at a time that I'm striving to be a stay-at-home mum who works a few hours outside while the kids are at school. It's easy to feel looked down on by working mothers but you've reminded me to feel proud of being the rock of the family, the one who keeps it all together at home. Thank you for your honest thoughts x

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are some beautiful words, they were encouraging. I just came upon your blog, it's lovely.

    www.graceful-light.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing Mama Watters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like others, I also relate to this post, and to you. Thank you for writing and sharing it. I am recently a new mother, and having spent 6 weeks at home with my little one brought me so much joy and happiness that I started dreaming about being a stay-at-home mother! However, I had to return to work this week (unfortunately) and share your sentiments on anxiety, being a new, young mother, and handling all that is going on in life. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I enjoy reading your blog!

    ashleywoodbeck.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, to all of this. Yes, yes, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Amanda,

    I was thinking how to comment on this beautiful post, with which I totally relate...

    I don't find the right words.

    It just speaks to my heart.


    With love from Slovenia, Jelena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Amanda,

    you're beautiful. (Can I be your friend? ;-)) I so can relate to what you said. Thank you!

    Jelana, seems to be the same everywhere. Good to know - in an way.

    Love from Germany,
    Kosima

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen. Amenamenamen. Nothing is more soul-soothing than a good toiletry purge, cleaning out a t-shirt drawer, and saying goodbye to material nonsense.

    Cheers, baybuh. See you Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After a summer of traveling and a schedule "en flux", my two-year-old recently looked up at me and said, "Stay home?" I still tear up thinking about it, of her not getting what she needed this summer, but I'm so glad she found the words to tell me what she was thinking. I've said no to more play-dates, I run all my errands on one day now, and I opted out of a bible study that I usually attend. Last week was potty-training, and both of us are feeling better after all the quality time. :) All that to say, I appreciated your words about simplicity and quality over quantity. I've started following you on Instagram and Pinterest and really love both your aesthetic and your perspective. I believe you know my dear friend Maria Casteel, so maybe we'll bump into each other one day. :) Thanks again for your words. Hope you have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mama Watters,

    I'm a new reader of yours, found your instagram through bugaboo and your blog through your instagram, and I've been really inspired and encouraged by your blog and your lifestyle as a stay-home mom. I am a new mom, a believer myself, and learning about motherhood and how to balance my life as a stay-home mom. I love this way of life, and I find myself embracing all things similar than you do. Simple life and the joy from small things, embracing every single moment with my little one. :) I am also living in a new culture at this moment and being far away from my close friends and family, blogs like yours are a huge encouragement to know that I am not alone in this learning thing, especially sometimes learning to look at my to-do lists in a positive way rather than stressing out about all things undone. Thank you for this post, it reminded me of something very, very important. Thank you for sharing your life! Much blessings and love, Anni Harada

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a fantastic post! I needed to read that. I come from such a similar place - lots of lists and trying to max out each day - so this was a nice little reminder. Keeping it simple really is best! I had planned to cram a bunch of visits and errands into our day tomorrow, but we'll keep it simple instead. Maybe spend some time together, playing on the floor with my babe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. This absolutely resonates with me--thank you for your thoughts. As a new stay at home with a babe, I totally feel the pressure to make something that people see as worth while. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am really late with this, but only because it found me exactly when it needed to. as my baby nears his 1st birthday and settles into a more independent routine, i feel more and more restless and find myself questioning myself constantly. i feel a little like i have no purpose or that what i do doesn't really matter. i wonder why it seems that only having success in career or constant busyness equals real accomplishment. i have always found that bringing everything down to a simple task settles my overwhelmed mind too. nothing like paid bills, clean cabinets and a tidy sock drawer to help me re-center and breathe again. thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete