1.28.2014

motherhood // hard love


let's flash back to the days when andrew and i and would clumsily pull on our boots and trudge through the janurary snow for dinner somewhere, anywhere, downtown desolate kansas city because our fridge and cupboards were bare.  or when i would work until three in the morning serving drinks at the jazz bar up the street, only to wake up at seven to head north of the river to teach all day.  on those long days, my sweetheart would would visit me on my dinner break just to sneak in a kiss by the back alley before heading home to walk our dog.  gosh, that newlywed love sends butterflies right back.  or back to the day not so very long ago when we thought we were loving as hard as our hearts would let us.  we would snuggle in on the couch during a movie, arms on top of arms, legs around legs and eyes looking in eyes.  so connected.

oh, how wrong we were.  so in love, but silly wrong about how hard we would be able to love.

because seeing your babies become friends, that my friends, is hard love.  it's love so hard that it hurts and tingles and overwhelms the soul like a waves swallowing rocks near the shoreline.  not one at a time but all at the same time.  it's love so hard that it knocks you back and up and down without notice until you are sitting there, in a lovers daze, watching your babies smile at one another, giggling side by side, talking without speaking, and really just learning to love one another.

this love, it's raw and delicate and really just the most perfect kind of love, if there was ever such a thing.  this love is hard because you know how fleeting these moments are.  you see so much potential in its growth as it ripens over time, but in the same token, you want to freeze it and keep it this sweet size forever.  it's hard, hard, beautiful love and i am ever so blessed to know it.

10 comments:

  1. beautiful writing! love your thoughts here...they're so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful, just the sweetest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true Amanda. I have a 4 year old and 8 month old; seeing them bond and seeing their love grow deeper and deeper each day is magic! All I hope for is that this bond will be a strong one for the rest of their lives and that they will love hard like this always xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more! Nothing better in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these words are so so beautiful! I feel like love through life will always go in stages. I love my little boy but I can't imagine the love i will feel as I see him with siblings some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. youre such an inspiring person. im in love with your photography, im in love with your family. it melts my heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are strong, beautiful, true words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you Amanda for being an inspiration to all of us. I'm a first time mama to an almost 1month old,Carl Benicio. I love reading your posts especially in times I'm down and tiredI didn't know that being a mama was this hard, but my boy is worth all the sleepless nights and everything else, you know exactly what i mean ☺️ continue being a blessing to your family and to the rest of your readers.

    ReplyDelete