9.25.2013

handmade // sip and see invitations


have you ever heard of a sip and see?  well, i suppose it's like a baby shower, minus the showering part.  and there will be cocktails...oh yes, an array of yummy drinks!  i am dreaming up a mimosa bar with fun juices and champagne, to be precise.  but all those details will come later. 

andrew and i have decided to have a little gathering after our baby boy is born rather than a shower before hand.  given that he is our second babe and we have no need for gifts (and i really really dislike party games) we thought inviting people to our home after his birth to celebrate our new addition would be the perfect idea, complete with some fancy drinks of course, hence the sip.  we are doing an open house from noon to four for people to drop by and meet our little man.  we planned it a few weeks after his due date to give us some time as a family to adjust.  if he decides to come early, well that means he will just be a bit older when he meets some of our family and friends.    

after deciding on this type of celebration, i searched high and low for the perfect invitation.  i came up empty handed.  i was hoping to find something minimal, unique and sweet, with a cheap price tag to boot, but nada.  so i made my own.  i bought all of my supplies at paper source and hobby lobby and am pretty pleased with how they turned out!  it took just one afternoon of stamping a few cups to tea by my side.  i found the whole process to be soothing as well, and made sure to save one for his memory book.


price breakdown: 

paper bag cards and envelopes (i bought three packs for a total of 24 cards) = $12 
for/date/time/place stamp = $7 (this will be reused for sure)

grand total: $37 for the 24 invitations and card-making supplies for future use.

i love that our invitations are one-of-a-kind.  it makes them extra special.  and how cute is that stork pattern!?  making our own invitations was super easy and such a good route to go if you want to save some money.  even stella got out her washable stamp pad and "helped" me out.  needless to say, we did not send hers out in the post! 

15 comments:

  1. this is so cute! i just heard of a sip and see earlier this year. i'll certainly be having one for my future babe :) have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i heard of them not too long ago as well and the idea just seems wonderful! this way, we can celebrate in our home as a family. :)

      xx, amanda

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of a sip and see! Sounds GREAT though, and your invitations are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. never heard of this.
    but i actually love the whole concept.
    i'm sure it'll be lovely.
    can't wait to see more details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, sara! i adore the concept, too and really like that it includes all members of our family. :)

      xx, amanda

      Delete
  4. Oh I love this. How sweet. And, I like the idea of having a "shower" AFTER the baby's birth (especially for the second one). I may do this whenever we have another :) LOVELY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, a shower after just seems so much better for the second baby...then you can include all members of the family. i will let you know how it goes!

      xx, amanda

      Delete
  5. What a lovely idea! I just wish we both live nearby so my daughter and i can visit your newborn and my daughter could finally meet Stella.Will look forward for adorable photos.

    BTW if it's okay with you to give any p.o. box address you have or any means that we can send you something. My daughter and I will be ecstatic. You can email or dm me if you like.:)

    <3,
    Angie
    Audrinajulia.blogspot.com

    By the wa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wouldn't that be wonderful! it is so fun making friendships via IG and blogs...but to live close and hang in person would be the best! we hope you gals have a beautiful day! i will send you PO in twitter...

      xxx, Amanda

      Delete
  6. I'm loving washi tape! I keep thinking of new uses for it all the time. Except the ones I've bought don't stick very well. Did you get yours from paper source?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, isn't it the best?! so much fun. i got mine at paper source...however i have found that FABRIC-like washi does 100 times better at hanging than regular washi.

      http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Red-and-White-Twill-Ribbon/3650_042/46522401.html

      we have the tape from the link above and that's what i use to hang papers and things. :)

      xx, amanda

      Delete
  7. Very cute! I made my own wedding invitations after not being able to find exactly what I wanted... rubber stamps are the best! I'm with you on no shower for the second babe. I really didn't want all the fuss. A sip and see is a wonderful idea! We had a 'Baby meet and greet' with Soren, so perhaps I will start planning something similar for this little one. Great job! Can't wait to see the party pics, and the new babe, of course:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. making invites is so fun!! i love that you made your own wedding ones...so special. how are you feeling? i thin kthis little boy has dropped as of last night. I strangely feel really good all of a sudden...what could this mean?! cannot wait to see your sweet girl either. i love we are having one of each at the same time. :)

      xx, amanda

      Delete
  8. I love these Amanda! So so happy for your little Theodore!

    ReplyDelete