7.31.2013

ridding thy life of the book


...and a family pic for good measure. 

just a few days back, i took a rather bold step in the direction of adulthood and deleted my facebook account.  i stand corrected; let me use the correct verbiage here and say that i "deactivated" it.  there really is no such thing as deleting facebook i'll have you know.  i know because i tried and failed.  facebook is the cockroach of the bug community and cannot be killed.  hauntingly, somewhat akin to those over-sized speckled glasses you wore back in the 90's but that's another post, it will exist far into the future in the archives of the internet god's lair and grin at me, i am quite sure.  just to spite me for my deactivating ways. 

the book, as i occasionally refer to it, had become a place of negativity and annoyance for me.  a real buggar and pain in my peace-seeking arse, if you will.  it was time to just let go.  it had become that dreaded balloon, and therefore it was long overdue for me to untie its burdensome string.  so silly of me that saying goodbye to facebook was a difficult thing, but it was.

that was the one place where i could look in on old classmates without confrontation or awkwardness, see hospital pictures of newly born (within seconds, you know the drill) babies at whim, catch up with family members living in distant cities and states, and so on and so forth.  but recently, i have been feeling such a disconnect there.  to be honest, it had become a beast of a burden to check daily, as i would find myself doing if bored.  to say that there are times that i am bored with a toddler on the loose is laughable, because i think i started to exchange and confuse the feeling of boredom with peace.  as in listening to the cicadas or my breath rise and fall.  i started to replace the beautiful simplicities in life with negative fillers such as facebook and not surprisingly so, started to feel a bit down.  there are other fillers i have in my life that need good riddance, but in good time.  

so one afternoon after i had just got done scrolling through what can only be described as utter mindlessness on the book, i decided things in my life needed to be simplified.  and positive, for goodness sakes!  facebook was not among those two powerful qualities.  in fact, it was turning into the exact opposite for me as i realized i didn't actually know, as in really know, about 95% of the people i followed.  ridiculousness. 

with just a few keyboard clicks later, i felt so free and untied down.  it's not that i am, or was rather, a posting fiend, but i felt the nag to pier in on other's lives far too often than i should.  i felt it pertinent to check my feed more times than i go to the bathroom, which i'll have you is about a couple dozen a day.  

i am aware that getting rid of the book means losing touch with some people, but such is life.  i do have this here blog, an instagram account, twitter, and a phone (by golly who woulda thunk it) and, like, face to face interactions on the off chance that i want to meet up with a real live human!  so it's not like i am disappearing altogether, but that sure does sound nice.  doesn't it?  

in my young age, i have found certain things to be true.   simplicity is a large and important stepping stone leading towards happiness and one can have simplicity if one so desires.   it's a choice.  and therefore, so is happiness.  

seeing that my life is about to take on a major change, it was time for some editing.  i am choosing to believe that less is more and that if people want to stay in contact with us, there are means to achieving this.  just not on a negative platform such as facebook.  

in getting back to the basics i plan on editing in other areas of my life, too.  it just feels necessary.  

onward and upward, my comrades! 

*perhaps i have been dabbling in too much whitman...?  nah.  not possible. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of you, Amanda! Many a time I have deactivated my account only to be roped back in by friends and family. My husband, like you, kissed his account goodbye and never looked back. You've inspired me to simplify. I think I'll try to work up the gumption to lose my FB as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted my facebook last October and haven't looked back since. I don't even miss it, not even a little bit.

    It gave me peace.

    I realized that so many of the people that I followed and kept in touch with were people I didn't even care about and they didn't care about me.

    Yes, I have lost touch with SO MANY people, but were they important? No.

    The ones that love me and I love back we talk on the phone, email, text... make the effort to keep in touch.

    I believe you will be forever happy with your decision.

    Not to mention living in the present! Paying attention to the people you are WITH instead of being buried in a phone or computer. Yes. That is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a timely post for me! Thank you! I have been considering "simplifying" by saying good riddance to the Book you mentioned, but hesitate. We recently moved from Seattle (where we had been for 15 years) to Austin, and it really is a way to keep in touch with a lot of friends who are freshly not in our current circle. Actually, we don't have many in our current circle - we had 3 kids in under 4 years so our family is our circle ;) Anyway - did you give your friends and family a head's up? I am thinking maybe a heads up would be nice - just something like "hey, I'm going to deactivate my account next week so if anyone wants my current contact info or to keep in touch, send me a personal message or get the latest on our family blog" etc. Anyway...simplifying is good. Good choice! I don't even know how I came across you on Instagram but your posts are a happy spot in my day. Thank you and good luck with all the fun and wonderful exciting changes and new baby coming soon! What an incredibly exciting time in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a few tries, too. I've been off of Facebook since last December and I truly do not miss it one bit. Not sure why it was easier this last time, but it was. Hope that this time will stick for you too.

    I agree with every word you wrote and feel like I coulda written them myself.

    Kudos, and happy Saturday to you.

    Andrea McLaren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post caused me to consider: "What value is Facebook adding to my life?" and, realizing it was actually negative, I shut it down that very minute. That was about a week ago, and I haven't missed it one blimey bit. The site was no longer serving ME, but I was serving IT, and there is something very wrong about that. I want to thank you for the jolt of inspiration!

    PS: you & yours are INSANELY darling, and I'm excited to have found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete