7.31.2012

on a {very} personal note: just let go


i have started and deleted this post many, many times.  i have never been ready to write it.  it's a part of my life that i intend on keeping quite close, but something has transpired recently that has given me a new perspective on my situation.  i have my sister to thank, because a simple conversation we had turned into a mindset that i readily embraced, and to be honest, needed in my life.  like a thirsty corn field craving water in a drought, i have been yearning for a solution to my problem.  and like how all good things come into our lives, it happened when i least expected it.

without getting into the nitty gritty of this whole thing i guess i will start by giving you a few of the basics.  and for now, that's all i am ready to do.

1. i am adopted.

2. and i now know my birth family.

3. it's complicated.  for everyone.  and by everyone, i really do mean everyone in my life.  

ever since i was a little girl i have had this expectation of how things would turn out in my head.  needless to say, it was an expectation full of hope and happiness.  not that i was lacking any of that in my life, because i am beyond blessed with amazing parents and a gigantic family that love me like crazy.  but it was an expectation that was formed early on out of curiosity and wonder.  i suppose you could say i my mind was always racing with many burning questions that seemed to surface more frequently the older {and more hormonal} i got.  

and finally, over the course of a few years, i found out the answers.  

a lot of time has passed and things have transpired.  things i would rather not disclose because that makes my head hurt.  but let me just say, it is because of my sister {she is my sweet birth sister whom i have gotten the pleasure to call my good friend} and the conversation that we had that i have been able to just let go.  

as we walked along the plaza one afternoon on her visit to kansas city, she gave me a metaphor that stuck like super glue.  unknowingly like the little buddha she is, she compared my expectation about my adoption to a balloon that is tied to one's wrist.  

at first, it's wonderful having that balloon tied there so innocent and pretty.  but after awhile, taking that balloon everywhere, like out to dinner, to bed, on a run, to the grocery store, to the bathroom, in the delivery room, while cooking, etc. would become quite annoying and would even start to feel heavy, not to mention it would just look and feel ridiculously silly after awhile. 

so she said, all i needed to do was to just let go of it.  cut the tie, and set that expectation free.  there was nothing complex about her instructions, like taking my woes to therapy or some support group.  no.  it was something i could do on my own at my leisure.  i liked this.  

i am not sure of the exact moment of when i grabbed those sharp scissors and cut that string, but soon after this conversation i did.  and with gratitude i watched as it floated up high in the sky never to return again.  i watched as that balloon faded into the clouds and out of my life.  it was beautiful and freeing. 

expectations can be wonderful things.  they can gear you up and boost your spirits.  they can even push you towards positivity in a time of doubt.  but they can also press down your soul, burdening you in small ways that ultimately breeds anger and frustration.  

i was lucky enough to have someone tell me that all i need to do was to just let go.  she said all of this in a round about way, but for me it clicked.  i have read quotes on pinterest suggesting similar mantras, but it wasn't until someone actually told me to do so in their own words that i really listened.  

the reason i am sharing this personal part of my life with you is that if you have a balloon tied to your wrist, and you are tired of taking it with you everywhere you go, i want you to know it is okay to cut those strings and watch that balloon float up and out of your life.  sometimes, all it takes is a simple act to move a mountain, so to speak.  you don't always need a grand gesture to make a change.    

maybe someday i will be brave enough to type out my story, but for now, i hope this little slice of my life can be of some sort of inspiration to you.  

41 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. I am grateful I have read this and understand the analogy your sister gave! If I wasn't in the library right now, I would be crying. I have been holding onto one particular part of my life for a very long time & have allowed it to overcome my life, eat me from the inside out, & almost destroy my marriage. Here's to letting go of the past & looking towards the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am thankful for your kind words valerie. it feels good to know i may have brought some inspiration to you. it is so easy to hold onto certain things in our lives, and letting go is just sometimes the best option. easier said than done. sending a hug your way :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  2. Posts from the heart (like this one) are always my very favorite to read! Thanks for sharing a bit of your story and the wonderful metaphor that your sister shared. I love it and I know that all of us can apply it to some aspect of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words tami :) hope you're having a great day!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  3. i know i will return tomorrow to read this again. and then maybe again. thank you for being so brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sweet friend. it makes me feel good knowing this post might help people out. hope you are having a great day!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  4. Way to go girl! Love the analogy... and love the picture, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you nicole! goodness, it feels good. :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this very special post. It is very inspiring. I also recently experienced this feeling, and it's hard to describe it in words. But you've managed to do a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words emily...i am so grateful for them. :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  6. this is a beautiful post that pertains to so many aspects of life. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome ashley....thank you for stopping by :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  7. Wow, these are such real and honest words. Thanks for sharing. I love the balloon metaphor. I think for me, sometimes, just little things, I allow to become a bigger part of me then they need to be and I just need to let go.

    So much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think the balloon metaphor is such a good one...for many things in life we need to just let go. thank you for your kindness sweet friend, i am ever so grateful!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  8. You are so inspiring, girl! Thank you so much for being brave enough to share even this portion to your life with us. You have no idea how many people you have probably helped (me included). We all have little balloons we carry with us wherever we go. But we must let go., cut that string, and watch it fly away; To really take in that freeing feeling.
    Thank you again for sharing this.
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sweet friend for you kind words. posts like this one are reasons i love this blogging community so much. we are all in this crazy life together, so why not help a few sisters out...right!? :) hope you are having a lovely day!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  9. I really needed to read this today. Isn't it wonderfully strange how these blogs brings people together. send a sense of refresh and clarity across the globe? thank you, thank you. so happy for this friendly reminder to let that balloon loose :)) xo -Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love that this post was helpful to you. the world works in crazy/beautiful ways, that is for sure. i know there have been SO many times when i have stumbled on someone else's words or situation and have been forever grateful for their knowledge and experience. hugs to you!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It really hit home for me..I have an expectation that I have been carrying around with me for 28 years. Your sisters words are so wonderful, I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to set that 'balloon' free. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. big hugs to you girl and thank you for your kind words. :) ...we all have those balloons, some of us many of them, and it feels good to know we are not alone in our battles. hope you're having a great day.

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  11. This is such a beautifully written post and can be applied to so many of us -- so thank you for sharing! It can be tough to open up with the real personal stuff on the blog, but in the end you realize it was so worth it once you see how many people you've touched with your story and experience

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sweet friend for your kind words! i really appreciate your comment. :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  12. I have such a ballooon tied to my wrist..and it´s soooo ifficult to let it fly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes certain balloons are tied tighter than others...

      there's no rush. hugs to you.

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  13. thank you for sharing. loving your blog- I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you my new sweet friend :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  14. I give you so much credit for writing this Amanda. I have someone very close to me that has a similar story. And I have often witnessed the struggles that go along with that. But, at the same time I think it is of upmost importance to recognize that there are people around us that support us and are willing to tell us the truth. I am praying for you girl as you work through these different things and let that balloon go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ashton...your words meant more than you know. hugs to you!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  15. wonderful - thank you so much for being honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thank you my dear friend for being such a wonderful blogger buddy!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  16. Letting go is the hardest part to deal in life, but doing so exchanges to peace of mind. Glad that you overcome those situations in your life.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree...once you let go, life is just more peaceful and calm. :) thank you for stopping by.

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  17. beautiful. you are so strong. new follower here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you my new sweet friend for your kind words. you made my heart smile!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  18. Thank you for sharing, you are so brave and I always appreciate your honesty. I wish I was a brave and strong as you are. you go girl, let that balloon fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ash...you are such a sweet friend. :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  19. What a great, beautifully written post! Didn't know you were adopted, how interesting! I'm wondering if I have any balloons I need to let go. I'll have to think about that. Anytime you need to talk, let me know. Although we'll have less times to do that now that I'm up on the 7th grade floor with a different plan time. I've so enjoyed working in 8th grade with you the past two years, and I hope we can still talk sometimes, as I value your friendship, and all the perspective you gave me on my new niece and that family situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lisa :) i am sure going to miss you on that 8th grade floor...but you better believe i will be up a time or two for a visit! i hope miss hadley is doing well this summer and i bet she is growing like a weed! ps..you better come down and visit us crazy 8th grade teachers sometimes :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  20. i'm sending you all my love, sweet girl. i think it's really good (and really big) of you to take the time to write this out -- even if it took a million and a half drafts & deletions. i hope it wasn't only cathartic, but also a deep breath of fresh air for you. i'm proud of you. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there big sister! So glad to have read this. It's nice to know that when we let go of things and they disappear, we've still got our rocks - that is, people like you. Thanks for being one of my rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing that. It is inspiring and has helped with things in my life. xo :)

    ReplyDelete