5.09.2012

living simply // a swell motto




-be gone piled up magazines, otherwise known as our giant, non-efficient, paper coasters. 

-be gone stale artichoke dip seasoning hiding in the back of our pantry.  i don't even know where you came from...

-be gone ‘a few sizes too small’ faded/worn/never-cute jeans, circa 2005.  you were even too small in high school.

-be gone twin sized mattress sheet for the mattress i used to have...in college.

-be gone random, dusty wine corks acting as "décor" on the top of our cupboards.  you were cute before you started growing fur.

-be gone orange-tinted face stain...errr..."moisturizer" {most likely from victoria’s secret} bought back when i turned 16.  you are runny and nasty and so good riddance!

-be gone lonely earring without a mate. so sorry to say this, but i don’t think he's ever gonna show...

-be gone old birthday cards just stating “happy birthday” in my memory box.   

-be gone awkwardly non-perishable teriyaki sauce chllin’ in side door of our fridge.  and you thought i forgot about cha!

and so it begins...the always difficult task of getting rid of the old, the outdated, and the obsolete...the purging of unwanted and no-longer needed items from our home. 

there has been talk of simplification in our home lately as a means to 'get back to the basics' if you will.  over the colder winter months, andrew and i find it is so easy to accumulate odds and ends in drawers, cupboards, and closets.  now that summer is almost here, we are eager to de-clutter our space and instill a deeper sense of calm in our surroundings at home.  life is just always so hectic outside, why not make it as serene as possible inside our haven? 

andrew and i have decided that we only want things in our home that have a purpose, aka: items that we use on a daily basis {essentials}, or that make us feel good {pretties}.  we are ready to clear the counter space and simplify our stock.  after all, things upon things just weigh us down and ultimately get in the way.  the task at hand will be hard, seeing as we feel like we are throwing away our hard earned money when we get rid of our "things" during cleanings like this, but i think we can do it.  wish us luck! 

25 comments:

  1. Good Luck! You've inspired me to get rid of a few things over here. I just happen to have today off...so maybe I will do some de cluttering! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, girl! hope your day off was productive! happy de-cluttering to us both :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  2. Good luck!! This is difficult but sounds totally worth it! My husband and I move a lot, so we have to take inventory every few months but we have noticed that things accumulate in those few months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so easy for things to pile up fast, isn't it?! i end up thinking, how did this drawer get so full of stuff so quickly? and you are right, difficult but worth it in the end :)

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  3. This is great! I agree--simple living makes life so much better! I also need to de-clutter. Thank you for the inspiration! Such a cute blog you have by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lindsay :) happy de-cluttering to us both!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  4. I agree with this 100 percent! I have really started to hate clutter and have been trying to get rid of stuff slowly. I have a hard time parting with clothes but I need to just bite the bullet and get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my, clothes are the hardest for me too! goodwill has no idea what's comin' ...

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  5. Oh, AMEN -- especially to the magazines. That's going to be one of my projects this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have a feeling it is going to take me all summer! as for the mags, those were easy...they now have a new home in the recycling bin ;) thanks for stopping by!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  6. I was laughing at some of these...because my husband and I can totally relate! I for sure need to go through my jean pile that I know holds multiple offenses. :) Something about cleaning out and organizing...it's so therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right about it feeling theraputic. de-cluttering = happiness! happy cleaning out and organizing to us both!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  7. i need to "be gone" with a ton of stuff too. winter always seems to create a pack rat out of me!
    xo dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, there! I'm a new reader...I'm also living in KC (Liberty, technically). Small world!

    I like the idea of simplifying and only having things that serve a purpose in your life regularly or have some kind of significance that warrants holding onto them. I currently live in a dorm room and in the process of preparing to move out for the summer, I have realized just how much STUFF I have that I don't need. I plan on donating some things and throwing out the unnecessary items cluttering my room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my, small world, tara! what school are you at? so happy you stopped by :) isn't it crazy how little we actually need!? happy de-cluttering to us both. now, off i go to see your blog!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  9. New to your blog and this really made me chuckle. I definately have at least three items on that list! I don't know how stuff piles up but it creeps in. Purging always feels great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by, mama! glad you could relate...i read over the list again and realized how nasty some of those items were, hehe.

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  10. I'm right there with ya on decluttering the home. With our little baby due in june it's absolutely necessary! Just.So.Hard. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congrats on your little one!! june is so close, how exciting! it's crazy how much stuff people will give you when you have a baby, holy lord. talk about stuff. when we had stella, her stuff started taking over our home so it's timeto purge, yet again!

      xo, amanda

      Delete
  11. i am a thrower too. it feels so great to purge, and to give to goodwill. win, win...i say!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I "be-gone" 'd almost everything in my refrigerator the other day. It's so nice to have clean (unmoldy) space in there now :)
    x Jes, www.twosmuppies.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, i always keep old birthday cards too! why is that?
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how you refer to the useful things you want to keep. I might adopt that! Also, lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. we just had a garage sale and then donated everything that didn't sale. it always feels so great to simplify!

    your family is precious.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog is so CUTE, Very interesting.

    Xo, newest follower hope you follow back or check out my blog.

    Adropofbliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete