5.01.2012

a recipe // grilled salmon



it's about that time, folks!  ...grillin' time, that is!  if andrew and i could eat every meal off of the grill, i think we would.  there's something about that charred goodness on a ripe vegetable that speaks summer, you know?  and those grill marks on fish...talk about eating with your eyes.  this past weekend we went to costco and stocked up on some salmon and fresh veggies with hopes to have one serious bbq sometime this week.  being impatient and all, we simply could not wait any longer, so last night we took the plunge and made one of our favorite meals.  of course, it had a little citrus twist, and it all went on the grill!

here's how it all went down...



season your salmon with sea salt + fresh cracked pepper.  
that's it.


give those veggies some lovin' too with some olive oil and s + p. 




now for the dressing.  andrew and i love bright, orange flavors paired with our salmon dishes, so i made a simple dressing for the grilled fish as follows:

2 tablespoons orange muscat champagne vinegar {trader joe's}
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of honey
fresh tarragon 
s + p

mix together and enjoy

ps.  this dressing goes wonderfully with roasted veggies, avocado salad, and any kind of grilled dish.




then to le grill!  in this household, we like our salmon medium rare.  we achieve this, take your fish off of the grill when it looks like the above photo, then wrap it up tightly with foil.  don't let the undercooked nature of this fishy freak you out.  it will be good.  promise.  this method of heating will aid in the cooking process and ensure extra moisture.  trust me, this is the way to go foe succulent, juicy fish!


for heavens sake, pour yourself a generous glass of vino already!  
i prefer a crisp italian pinot grigio with seafood. 




pour the citrus dressing over the grilled salmon and viola, dinner is served! happy grilling :)

6 comments:

  1. Dinner looks great! Question from one newish mom to another - do you guys eat after la bebe is in bed? Or do you eat with her? I'm kind of torn on this one, since on the one hand I want to promote eating as a family, but on the other its kind of nice to enjoy a glass of wine without one hand spooning applesauce into a waiting mouth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, what a great question! This is something my husband and i have talked about quite a lot and we have finally have a routine that works well for us. We, too, really love the idea of eating together as a family, so that's what we do....but only on the weekdays! The weekends are too hectic for anything planned like a family meal. So during the weekdays, I will put Stella in her chair while I am making dinner and give her some fruit or something small to nibble on so shes doesn't fuss too much. Then when we have our dinner at the table, we give her some of what we are eating. Luckily, she tries and eats pretty much everything.

      Now, this was SUPER, SUPER hard when she was eating baby food that could only be spoon fed, like applesauce, so it only works for us now because she can feed herself.

      Before she could feed hersekf, we fed her first while making dinner, then let her play while we ate so we could enjoy our meal with a glass of wine. We are pretty strict about 8pm bedtime, so if dinner does not go as planned...and that does happen, you know, we at least have some alone time to talk and watch our shows!

      xo, Amanda

      Delete
    2. Your plan sounds very similar to mine! I am so happy to have a baby that likes to eat (most) everything, which makes meal times so much more fun. I have heard of people that swear by eating after the baby is in bed, to give themselves some alone adult time. I'm sure there are pluses and minus to either option... but for us eating with the baby is what we try to do more often than not. I'm sure you find that they are so entertaining to watch! My husband and I spend half the meal laughing at funny things he does while eating. So much different to how our lives were a year ago!

      Delete
  2. This is perfect! I don't have a grill {as I am a broke and single college student}, but when I get one or use my parents' I'll definitely use this. Thank you!

    jane
    harleyandjane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. um yum... this looks so fresh and delicious! this is making me so hungry, it must be dinner time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh you're killing me over here! it looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete