10.13.2015

motherhood // we sat on a hill



my boys and i, we sat on a hill the other day, our favorite hill in the city.  it is one we've came to and played on and picnicked at more times than i can count as a little family.  it's a pleasant place for us, almost always painting our canvas calm and happy and bright.  this hill and this park, it echos serenity and reminds us to be still.  it's a harbor for us in the middle of a life's sometimes turbulent sea, for it's here in the open space that we take refuge when needing a fresh perspective or just a place to let out a bellowing "ahhhh."

i've needed quite a bit of these moment lately.  to bellow and so forth.  because motherhood, despite all of it's beauty and wonder is very, very hard.  i've been dealing a bit with separation anxiety from certain people along with some yucky postpartum stuff, so being deliberate with my time and reflecting on the little things that spark joy in my life have become absolutely essential.  a mindset worth cultivating and nurturing.

and because my heart was calling out for it, we came the hill while stella was in preschool, while she played with her new friends and learned about the five senses.  we came as the three of us, so i, their mama bear, could seek solitude and a chance amid the changing trees to just sit in stillness.  so i could spread out our blanket overlooking the green so i might breathe deeper.  to breathe in longer and more fully, ballooning my lungs as big as i dare, inviting my soul the chance to dance away from some of life's more hectic and lonely dips, to feel lighter and freer.  because some days are just hard.  some weeks a struggle.  some take a lot more courage to get back up after having fallen or simply after having just taken a short dive into the clouds.  and that's okay.  it's those hard days and or weeks that teach us so much, that help us grow, giving us the tools to hopefully do better.  

to the hill we came, to take in the rich connection of myself and nature, whereupon i did, as i always do, find purpose and peace and magic in the seemingly mundane.  to feel the grass on my toes, speckled with leaves and twigs, telling me autumn is coming.  tenderly enfold my arms around my baby and nurse him, his suckling sounds filling me up.  to watch my wild theodore run around barefoot with his toy truck, smiling smiling smiling.  to crack open and be encouraged by a new book, rising strong by brine brown.  she's amazing, isn't she?  to hear the singing birds overhead, preparing for their journey south.  to sit in stillness and quiet my mind, and give gratitude for gift that it is to live another day as a wife, a mom, a daughter, a friend.  all of this, on a hill, as i sat with my boys.  to any mamas going through a rough patch, i wish i could give you a big hug.  you'll get through it.  you're not alone.

*i want to thank all of you who have left kind comments below, i have read each one several times and i am so grateful for your support and tender hearts. xx

19 comments:

  1. This was so need. Sat here nursing my almost 3 month old. My 2 and 4 year olds tucked in bed. Me, judging myself with a hurting heart about all the things I could have done better today, and yesterday and all the other days..thank you. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you. Beautifully written, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. 27- weeks pregnant with number three and the days are just seeming to get harder and harder. I'm praying for grace now and for when sweet baby is in my arms! Lots knows I'm in need. This share was so beautiful and I heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this today. Thank you. Truly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a mama yet, but I so admire your approach to your motherhood and self. Keep on keepin' on, Mama Watters! You are doing beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was precisely what I went through when my third was born. Ultimately I was able to surrender to it all and have reached a new found peace. Tomorrow that baby will turn three years old. But I will never forget how alone I felt at that time. Thank you for your words. You are hands down one of the best things about the Internet. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. From a first time mum in Edinburgh, Scotland, thank you for this today, ending this felt like a big hug... at exactly the right time. Hugs back to you

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful images and words. They weaved a gentle pace over my hurried coffee. I'm off to the garden to just soak up the nature. Many thanks for your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lovely words provoke such beautiful images in my mind....you truly have a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, everything I just wrote just dissapeared.
    The bottom Line was thank you for sharing your thoughts and life, it really strengthens (is that a word?) me in my struggle in motherhood, and the struggle to be kind and forgiving to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got this lady. You're not alone. I had severe post partum depression after my fourth and, as he's only 18 months, I'm still climbing out. I used to think everything had to happen so fast - like, "okay, I'm ready to feel good again, so let that be known - make it so!" hah hah - it's a process but this year has been one of tremendous growth for myself and our family. A gift really. Going through what we did I know without a doubt I wouldn't go back. Anyway, this is a lovely post. Be kind to yourself. You're not alone. None of us are alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks you for this, Amanda. I seek refuge on hills, too. Once - when I was much younger ! - it used to be "The Hill", back in Lawrence, KS. Now it's my hometown hill, back in a Lyon, France, suburb.

    My kids are getting older (8 & 4) and things are becoming simpler. I wish you health, and courage, and to keep your beautiful simple wisdom of enjoying all the little things life brings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely words, and important to remember in tougher times. Also- I love your little one's one piece, I can't get that color out of my mind! Where's it from?

    ReplyDelete
  14. just. what. i. needed. to. hear.

    simply, thank you for your always honest posts. motherhood is quite the journey. beautiful yet painful at times.

    also thank you for the book recommendations in most recent post. christmas wish list updated !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Motherhood is for sure the hardest but also the most rewarding...
    I think you are doing a great job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you are experiencing postnatal depression I strongly encourage you to get help. Do it for yourself firstly and for your family. It's incredibly common. It's chemical, hormonal, serious and treatable. Take care of yourself. Don't struggle alone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for these words! You pretty much wrote exactly what I have been feeling. I have a new little one as well and some days are just hard. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came across your Instagram a few weeks ago and now I am reading some of your blog. I am the mother of a 4.5 month old baby girl Sofía. Becoming a mother has been the most amazing experience and has opened my eyes, my mind, my soul in many ways! But being abroad with no family around and a new parent hasn't always been easy.. However there have been a few things that have really helped, your words and pictures are one of them! So all I want to say is THANK YOU! Please don't ever stop...

    ReplyDelete