lavender: not only is lavender a true gem when it comes to relaxation, but it also helps with seasonal discomfort (allergies), eczema, and minor owies (cuts, burns, and scrapes). we diffuse this one before bedtimes and it helps us all get ready to sleep, so naturally, this oil was going in my little one's play-doh. give her all those zzzzzzz.
stress away: this is a beautiful blend made by young living that i adore. it smells of vanilla, cedarwood, lime, and copiaba. basically, it's vacation in a bottle. this essential oil does just as the name suggests, it promotes a calm nature and helps one unwind. i use this as perfume and add it to my epsom salt baths at the end of a long day.
grapefruit: this oils is very uplifting and fresh smelling. i call it a happy oil and love that it is rich in the powerful antioxidant d-limonene, so it is nourishing to the skin. i also like adding a few drops of this to my water/vinegar cleaner for an all-purpose spray and to water when i need a pick me up.
i love that each of these play-dohs have their own special oily job, but most importantly, that they foster creativity for kiddos who are eager to make something on their own. stella is at that independent age where she insists on doing everything herself. because this play-doh is all natural, including the young living oils which are safe to ingest if she happen to sneak a bite, i feel good letting her play while i make a hundred trips up and down the stairs.
here is the recipe, friends!
ingredients:
1 cup water
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tablespoon of oil, i used olive oil
*food coloring
*essential oils, i use oils by young living because each bottle can be traced to its source and because of their seed to seal process.
to prepare, add all ingredients, except the food coloring and essential oil, to a large sauce pan over low to medium heat. stir until the mixture starts to get clumpy. take off the heat, transfer to a large surface, and knead into a big ball. divide your play-doh into three qual parts, pressing your thumb into the center of each ball adding an indent. to the center of each indent, add one to two drops of food coloring and five to ten drops of essential oil. i color coordinated the essential oil bottles to the food coloring because that kind of thing makes me happy.
i hope you guys try it out! for more of my essential oil recipes, head here. if you are interested in purchasing young living oils and becoming a member of my team leave me a note and i'll help you out, or head to this page to sign up to purchase your own kit. note: you never have to sell anything when you become a wholesale member of young living. in fact, most people don't! being on my team just gives you heaps of education and support from other oil users like myself. make sure you sign up wholesale to get your 24% off. that is not offered to retail customers. happy oiling, friends!
Must try this! We went to Chicago over Christmas and at the childr ms museum they gave each kid some peppermint and lavender play-doh and it smelled so good. So happy that now I can make my own- thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeletewww.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com
I spray a mix of lavender oil and water in my classroom daily, but I never thought of putting it in play-doh! I can't wait to try this!
ReplyDeletethanks for this recipe. I actually have great interest in the essential oils but they are quite costly. but the way you described the 'stress away' makes me want to smell it immediately! also - what food coloring did you use? couldn't find it in the post but would imagine you'd use something natural so as to avoid having colorful little hands!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://theeyeoftheneedle6969.blogspot.com.es/
Such an awesome idea, definitely going to try this.
ReplyDeletehttp://alexasimagination.blogspot.co.uk
Such a creative idea! Hoping to do this when my little one gets to that age!
ReplyDeleteQuick question regarding essential oils:
I have a 5 1/2 month old baby who has the cold right now (runny nose, congestion). I recently bought peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, and tea tree oil. Any advice on how to use them to help him feel or get better? Also what are your thoughts on putting a few drops of tea tree oil in the humidifier? Thanks!
I use a carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil, and apply the oils on his back and feet. i also will put them with epsom salt in his bath before bedtime to help open up his chest and calm him down. i would not put peppermint in the bath though, that could be painful..hypothetically speaking haha. It is recommended that oils not be used in humidifiers because the heat changes their chemical makeup. We use our differ and diffuse before/during bedtime. Just remember, a little goes a very long way with oils and you always want to make sure to not overdo it. I hope this helps!
DeleteWow, thanks for your quick reply! Tried rubbing lavender oil on his feet after his bath tonight and hoping he'll sleep well. I appreciate your help! :)
DeleteHi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteOne of my coworkers has been giving me Stress Away to use at work. She and all of your posts have really made me consider getting the Starter Kit. I was wondering how often you have to replace your oils, as in running out of them? It such a big investment that I don't want to have to replace them regularly.
Kate
Hey Kate! Oh Stress Away...so amazing. Some info to consider: Each 5 ml bottle that comes in the starter kit has anywhere from 70-80 drops of oil in it. For example, it takes 25 lemons to make a 5 ml bottle of lemon oil. They are VERY concentrated and a little goes a long long way. Personally, I went through some oils much faster than others. We use thieves, peppermint, and lavender a lot for our family so those were the first ones I replaced after 3 months or so. Most of the others I did not need to replace for many, many months. I still have PanAway from one year ago! Something you can do to make you oils last longer is make roller bottles and dilute with a carrier oil. I help those who order through me learn how to best do that when starting out. Whew. So this was a book...I hope it all made sense. Let me know if you want help ordering, I would love to have you on our team! xx Amanda
DeleteThank you so much Amanda. I have to talk things over with my Husband before we hunker down and spend the money but I will shoot you an email if we decide to join the Young Living family.
DeleteLove this post! Just did this for my son's easter basket but after mixing the ingredients on the stove for about a minute, it turned to liquid. Normal?
ReplyDeleteGreat Easter Basket Idea! I am not sure why the mixture turned liquid, if anything it should have turned into dough for you. So sorry that happened. x Amanda
Deleteshoot!...i just tried this yesterday and it was also too liquid to use. i had to add about 2 more cups of flour and quite a bit of corn starch to make it doughy. i wonder why the difference in outcomes? regardless, thanks for the great idea and this more natural way of making play dough for kiddos!
ReplyDelete