let's talk about oils! our family has been a part of the young living essential oils community for awhile now and we are loving the positive impact they are having on our lives. after receiving much inquiry in regard to some of my instagram posts i have decided that it's time i give you a more detailed glimpse into exactly how and why we love essential oils here in my personal blogging space, as well as information on how you can incorporate them into your life if you so desire!
essential oils have brought so much good to our family. what first attracted us to them was that they wholeheartedly reflect our philosophy of living simply and naturally. after months of use, essential oils are second nature to us. we have incorporated them into the rhythms of our day to day living and have found that the more we use them the better we feel. this first post is dedicated to cleaning our home and how the oils have been beneficial in that area of our lives.
//
one of my favorite feelings promptly arises after i've had a cleaning spell in our home, rooms still smelling of essential oils, hardwood floors all shiny and goo free, tub scum ring-free, our feather pillows fluffed on the sofa smelling of lavender and off the floors from the previous day's hot lava game or tea party. that feeling of accomplishment and calm spills over into the rest of my week.
tending to our home early on in the week is an automatic recharge for my batteries as a stay at home mom. it also gives me the go ahead to mess everything all up again with my babes, flour all over our kitchen from pie making and mud in our entryway from the inevitable rushing inside and outside of my three year old. it's a process, you know. clean, play, tidy, play harder, rest.
if you've ever shoveled snow in the middle of a snowstorm you've experienced cleaning a home with little ones. it can be wild you guys, and sometimes even counterproductive and laughable. on those days i make an extra strong coffee and say, "to heck with it. there's always tomorrow." i remember hearing a bit of motherly advice awhile back that said something to the tune of "good mothers have sticky floors and smudged windows and toys everywhere." and part of me agrees! it is ridiculous to expect to have a clean house all the time. a mess means fun has been had. but once a week, usually mondays, i go about my routine semi-deep cleaning bathrooms and floors and windows and surface areas so i can maintain a somewhat clean home the rest of the week. doing so helps my mood tremendously and gives me more time to home school stella and have play dates, having started the week off with a fresh, clean home.
admittedly, and rather oddly to some i'm sure, i am a person who finds enjoyment in cleaning. when given the opportunity to browse the aisles at target i will literally spend most of my time either smelling new seasonal candles or the flowery fabric softener scents. the autumn season always has me tightly in its' grip because i live for anything smelling of nutmeg or pumpkin. more times than not, i'll pass by the hand soap bottles and ogle over their apothecaric labels, debating a potential splurge. being the aesthetic person i am, i'm a total sucker for a beautiful cleaning tools, too. throughout the past couple of years i have replaced my old, rather inefficient tools for more beautiful, old school ones made of wood and metal. take this one for example. i use it daily in our kitchen to clean up crushed goldfish and the like. it's true, classic basics are really best.
given that my day as a mama means there's always a little one pulling on my leg or a toddler begging to be held or tickled, i have had to make some changes in my cleaning regimen. life is messy and crazy whilst raising babies so i tried to simplified where i can by buying less and being more mindful about what i am spraying all over our home. i now use just a handful of tools and products, most all of them handmade and safe to use with a baby crawling around. interestingly enough, while making things easier and simpler for myself in regard to cleaning i feel that everything seems genuinely cleaner. one by one i have gotten rid of my old cleaning products, throwing many away because of their toxicity and harmful nature. i have replaced them with essential oils and natural products such as vinegar, baking soda, and water. i can say with confidence that my home has never felt cleaner and safer and more clutter free than it does now with two small children.
despite not using an array of cleaning products i have not sacrificed on quality. i have some go-to essential oils that i use on a weekly basis to clean our hardwoods, bathrooms, crayon marks on the walls, counter surfaces and more. because we are keeping simplicity a theme in our home we have not been spending frivolously on different products that my oils can do on their own or paired with something completely natural. i feel as though we are saving a lot of money in the process which for us is an added bonus. and friends, these oils, well they are not just for cleaning. oh no. that is one small component of their goodness.
i am writing this series for you because as a mother i am learning on a daily basis that we all need each other. i wholeheartedly believe this. whether you are a tired parent with little ones or a young woman in need of a little inspiration, one thing we all have in common is that we need each other no matter our path. it is how we better our lives. it is how we come to be the best version of ourselves. i have been blessed by others who have opened their hearts and homes and have showed me different, and sometimes better, ways of doing things, safer ways to clean being one of them. because others have been generous with their time and have shared the value of essential oils with me, my family has been healthier on many levels. thus, every couple of weeks i am going to share with you ways that we incorporate essential oils in our everyday lives, whether it be in the way we keep our home to the way we keep sickness at bay. yes, essential oils do that, too! below you can find three of my favorite cleaning products made with essential oils.
//
hardwood floor cleaner:
- 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar
- 1 gallon of warm water
- 3-5 drops of lemon or thieves essential oil
after sweeping or vacuuming, i use a microfiber cloth on tough spots where dirt and grime has built up and a basic string mop and press mop bucket for all other areas. i know there are many great steam mops out there but nothing truly cleans a floor like an old fashioned mop. however if you do have a floor cleaner you can use this recipe:
- 2 teaspoons of distilled white vinegar
- 16 ounces of warm water
- 1 or 2 drops of lemon or thieves essential oil
all-purpose spray:
- 1 part distilled white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 part water
- 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. last week i made one using five drops of lavender and five drops of rosemary. it smells lovely. note: use approximately five drops of oil per cup.
- a glass spray bottle. it is suggested that mixtures that include essential oils be stored in glass containers to prevent the oils from corroding the plastic. i have two spray bottles that i purchased on amazon, one for the kitchen and one for the upstairs rooms.
i use this all natural spray on all surfaces in our home to disinfect from theodore's high chair to the bathroom sink. i like to change up the ratio of oils i include depending on my mood or what i prefer to smell that season. another great combination i have used in the past is orange and tea tree. the options are really up to what you prefer. being that thieves is amazing at killing bacteria that is a great option, too.
soft scrub tub cleaner:
- 3/4 cup of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of castile soap
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil
i mix all of these ingredients into a large glass food storage container and use a brush similar to this one with it when cleaning our tub. after scrubbing i let it sit for a bit before rinsing with warm water. that's it! the lemon oil gets the stains off of the porcelain in our tub and makes it whiter than ever.
//
for more of my essential oil recipes, head here. if you are interested in purchasing young living oils and becoming a member of my team leave me a note and i'll help you out, or head to this page to sign up to purchase your own kit.
note: you never have to sell anything when you become a wholesale member of young living. in fact, most people don't! being on my team just gives you heaps of education and support from other oil users like myself. make sure you sign up wholesale to get your 24% off. that is not offered to retail customers. happy oiling, friends!
note: you never have to sell anything when you become a wholesale member of young living. in fact, most people don't! being on my team just gives you heaps of education and support from other oil users like myself. make sure you sign up wholesale to get your 24% off. that is not offered to retail customers. happy oiling, friends!


I also love to use natural ingredients to clean my home, where did you get your cleaning brushes? Thank you!
ReplyDeleteSo great to hear! I got my small scrub brush at a local kitchen store here in Kansas City. It know it is german made and have seen them at william sonoma from time to time. I got the larger, heavier duty brush at TJ Maxx, believe it or not! I tend to find good cleaning supplies in the most odd places, I tell ya! Hope this helps. :)
DeleteAmanda
This is kind of a silly question, but do you rinse after wiping down countertops, etc. with the all-purpose spray? I know that's not a necessary step with most store bought sprays, so I just wanted to check. And thanks for the helpful info - I'm totally going to give these methods a try instead of paying out the nose for store bought all-natural products!
ReplyDeleteSarah- not a silly question at all! I have had SO many questions throughout this whole adventure and I am happy to help you! I do not rinse after wiping them down. The vinegar and oils I listed disinfect in a natural way and are not harmful if residue is left on your countertop. Theives in particular is a very strong bacteria killer and I use that one in my all purpose sprays most frequently. I have found by using the oils we have saved so much money! I am always spraying something and the store bought ones add up for sure, especially if you are buying the ones labeled "all natural" or "green" but they are still filled with chemicals. Hope this helps ya! xx Amanda
DeleteThat's good to know, thank you! I love cleaning as well and am so excited to get started. My floors are screaming for a good scrubbing...
DeleteI love this new series. I have been using oils for a few months and am always looking for ways to incorporate them into our lives. I look forward to future posts.
ReplyDeleteOn a side note...I find your blog and instagram so inspiring. I seem to always get caught up in the more is better attitude. I am trying to make changes to live a simpler life and you are a reminder of how great a simpler life can be. :)
Amber- thank you so much! I am happy to know this series is going to help inspire you to use your oils in new ways. They are so good, aren't they?! xx Amanda
DeleteQuestion! What do you use for dusting - or will this come up in another post? The microfiber clothes or something else...?
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of using essential oils for cleaning and I think I'm ready to take the plunge! Excited to clean (how often do people say that?)! One more question (because the hubs WILL ask) - do you find that the general mixture you use in the kitchen adequately cleans? As in, you're not afraid of food germs staying behind? My husband is a bleach-a-holic and we don't cook a lot with meat, but he is the way he is and might be concerned that vinegar + water + oil won't do enough.
Thank you in advance! Love this post!
Katrina- Great questions! Yes I use microfiber cloths for dusting and love them. They work so well and are really easy to clean, just throw them in the wash! I love that you said you are excited to clean, haha, I am the same way. Especially now that these products are SO safe and really good at getting rid of bacteria. I know what you mean about feel good after something is bleached but after researching the effects of using bleach we got rid of it completely. I am going to attach a link that helped me understand a little more about one oil in particular and how/why it's a great alternative to bleach as a bacteria killer. I hope this helps and if not, shoot me another question or email! xx Amanda
Deletehttp://www.natural-aromatherapy-benefits.com/Thieves-Oil.html
I'm so happy you made this post! I have been holding off on getting YL oils because of the starting price, but this post totally made me realize that I needed to purchase them immediately, so I did! :) On another note, I'm 19 years old and I'm not married or a mother, but I love your blog and instagram. Thanks for sharing bits of your life, you definitely inspire me! :)
ReplyDeleteEmily, first off thank you so much for all of your sweet words about this little family of mine! I am very thankful for kind readers such as yourself. And, I am so happy I've helped you start your essential oil journey! Did you sign up as a member of my team? If so I can help you further and invite you to our team's Facebook page to help answer any questions you may have about getting started. Have a beautiful rest of your day :) xx Amanda
DeleteI admit that I do enjoy cleaning as well. I also really like washing dishes--it's even more therapeutic for me. Cleaning with essential oils is something that I lightly considered before, but I have to say that after reading your post, I think I will slowly start making the transition. It seems so beneficial! Thank you for sharing xx
ReplyDeleteMagdalena, cleaning is so therapeutic for me as well! It's odd to some but I totally get it. If you ever have any specific questions about the oils let me know, I am happy to pass along information and do my best to help if I can! xx Amanda
DeleteAbsolutely loved this post, I am currently spending money on organic alternatives - after reading so much about the chemicals we inhale from our cleaning products. You are right though, it makes much more sense to make our own cleaning products - saves so much money. I am going to get a little notebook and write all of this down. I am a new follower - so glad I came across this :)
ReplyDeleteZoe Newlove | Beauty Blogger
Zoe, welcome and thank you for following along :) You are absolutely right, using oils can save so much money because the labeled "all natural" cleaners are SO darn expensive. I love making my own and love that a little bit of the oils go a long way. If you ever have any questions about them just let me know, I would be happy to help ya. And great idea about the notebook, I might just have to do that, too! xx Amanda
DeleteI am exciting to follow along in your new series, Amanda! In a future post of this series, would you please share how you approach cleaning toilets and disinfecting the kitchen after handling meats?
ReplyDeleteTiffany- i use the same tub cleaner for my toilets, too! it works really well. i am working on a dish soap that can help when it comes to scrubbing dishes after handling meat but you can use the all purpose spray with thieves to kill any bacteria on countertops after using uncooked meats. this oil has been tested and it does work just as effectively if not better than store bought countertop cleaners. hope this helps, mama! xx Amanda
DeleteSuch a well timed post for me! I've been hemming and hawing over ordering a starter package from Doterra or Young Living for a while now, but always get put off by the high cost (especially high because I live in Australia). But I'm going home to Canada for Christmas so maybe this would be the perfect time to finally order! Just one quick question, is your recipe for the 'soft scrub tub cleaner' enough for cleaning the tub just once, or do you only use some and save the rest for later? x
ReplyDeleteGaby- I was in the same boat as you before purchasing as I could not justify the cost for getting the starter package from YL. It seemed like a lot because I had no idea how to use the oils, just knew they were good for me haha. Now that I am learning how to use them I am actually finding that they are saving us money! So so good. And for the tub cleaner I dont use all of that just put some on my brush and scrub. I have found that a little goes a long way with this cleaner and that recipe gets me through the month, at least. Hope this helps! xx Amanda
DeleteI am reading this post as I watch my three year old son fall asleep on the monitor as he breathes in a blend of essential oils from a diffuser suggested by and borrowed from our neighbor. This is our second night trying essential oils as a last ditch effort to kick his sinus and ear infection. (We've tried just about everything.) So this is all very new to me and I am trying to read up on essential oils as much as I can. I have been reading your blog for about a year now and I really enjoy the perspective you share on motherhood. The timing of this post couldn't be better and I look forward to any future posts on how you incorporate essential oils for you family in the way of healing. My hesitance in using oils in our home is having any adverse or allergic reactions with my son and one year old daughter.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing- I am genuinely interested to hear this and more. I clean our home with lots of vinegar and perhaps as I learn more about oils I will incorporate them in our cleaning and furthermore in the wellness of our lives and home. - Laura
Oh, this warms my heart. Just last night I diffused lavender and peace and calming in Theodore's room and he slept until 9 this morning! We currently use the oils to combat sickness and I am working on a post for that to share with you all right now. The oils by YL are the lifeblood of plants and can penetrate cells to kill bacteria and get to a virus before it starts. There is more info I will include in the post regarding how to use with small children. Learning about them has caused me to want be more proactive in my family's health and has helped keep sickness at bay. It's been so good. Bless your family! xx Amanda
DeleteI loved this post, thank you for sharing. I had no idea there were so many uses for essential oils so I'm looking forward to more of your series. I have a quick question: does your string mop leave streaks? I feel as though I've tried every mop around (including the string one but it was on a slate floor, not a wood, which I have now) and there are always marks and I swear sometimes it looks worse than it did before I actually mopped it. Do you wring it really well or keep it quite wet? Am thinking of trying it again but thought I'd ask your thoughts first. Also, I'm really enjoying your blog and way of life. I'm trying to live more simply and I've enjoy the small changes. I feel alone in this idea though within family and friends, so it's so nice to see someone else living my ideal life model and being able to steal a few tips from them! x
ReplyDeleteBelinda, you are so welcome! There are so many uses for the oil and I feel like I can barely scratch the surface here in my blog. My mop doesn't leave streaks but it used to and I found that I was using too much vinegar and oil in my solution. I found that I dont really need that much and my floors are now streak free and don't have the residue on them any longer. I also make sure to ring out my mop REALLY well. That has helped. If you are really annoyed by the streaks you could always take a microfiber cloth to it after, but that seems like a lot of work to me. And I want to thank you for all of your kind comments. They really mean a lot. xx Amanda
DeleteFirst of all, I just love your simple style and way of living! It appeals to me. How your home look like is how I wish my home to be :) Everything that is as close to nature as possible, is close to my heart. I wonder, is the essential oil sold by YL better then the ones you can buy at iHerb.com( like Now Foods essential oil), if you know about it? Please convince me, and thanks for a great blogpost, I look forward to get more ideas for a healthier living! -Norwegian fan, Tuva
ReplyDeleteTuva, thank you for your endearing comments. I really appreciate them! In regard to why YL as opposed to other oils I attached a link for you to check out. I used to buy mine at Whole Foods (whole body365 brand) because I thought I was saving money and after learning about YL's seed to seal I really appreciate them much more. You can also ingest YL which makes it great for cooking or if you want to put them in water and sip which you cannot do with other oils.
Deletehttp://www.youngliving.com/en_US/discover/seed-to-seal
Let me know if you have any other questions, my dear and I hope this helped you! xx Amanda
Thank you Amanda, your answer was a great help. And after I read your latest blogpost and the comments below I now understand that signing up as a member does not require me selling the product, makes it a whole lot easier :) I'm quite excited about this:) By the way, where did you learn about these washing tips?
DeleteYou have shared very useful recipes to prepare house cleaning products at home. I liked the recipes of hardwood floor cleaner and soft scrub tub cleaner, because these are useful for me.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you've found them helpful! xx -a
Deletelove this! I'd love to know how you keep your whites white! Littles clothing, tablecloths, bedding/etc. thank you!
ReplyDeletei use white vinegar and lemon oil when washing my whites! this works so well for me. we are very much against bleach and it has actually ruined some of my whites in the past, so weird. anyway, i hope this helps you! xx -a
DeleteHi Amanda! I recently ordered my starter kit and I am really excited to dig in! I had a question about your tub cleaner. You mention castile soap. Which kind do you use? I have our beloved Dr. Bronners here and I'm wondering if that will work! I second sammyw's note above! Any laundry tips? I've been trying to stick with natural laundry detergents, but now that our youngest is moving into solid foods, her poor clothes are taking a beating and I'd like to avoid bleach! xo!
ReplyDeletehello! so happy you have your oils and are ready to start using them! i use Dr. Bronner's too, and get mine from Trader Joes (so it's peppermint right now) but the baby one is good too because it is unscented. Another laundry tip is I put purification (about 3-4 drops) in with my soap for heavy loads or for (poopy loads) because it disinfects and makes them smell so good! xx -a
DeleteThanks!!
DeleteEveryone loves what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and coverage! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.|
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLove this post and all your eo posts!
ReplyDeleteI need help though, made the all-purpose spray and it smells overwhelmingly like vinegar. Where'd I go wrong!?
1 c vinegar, 1 c water, 5 orange, 5 tea tree. Add e
I love green cleaning concoctions with essential oils.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Amanda and nice blog. This information help me to keep my area clean. Thank you once again. Environmentally safe degreaser
ReplyDeleteI'm also visiting this site regularly, this web site is really nice and the users are genuinely sharing good thoughts.steam mop reviews
ReplyDeleteThanks for your amazing post. Keep going on
ReplyDeletecommercial cleaning
Residential cleaning
office cleaning