3.27.2014
handmade // cedar and cinder porch garden shelves
i have been longing to start up our porch garden ever since my last bout of canning back in autumn. oh, how i miss tending to our little potted plants. it gives me so much peace to water them, coffee in hand, as the morning light gradually fades into early afternoon sunshine. i miss tiptoeing out onto the cold tiles as evening draws near to snip some herbs here and there for a salad or to brighten up a pasta dish. gardening is good for my soul. it's in my midwestern blood and runs wildly through my veins.
i really love tending to my garden, albeit a rather small one planted above ground residing humbly on our porch. this year we maximized our outdoor porch space by building some sturdy shelves able to withstand the blustery winds that tend to blow about our third floor dwelling. we came up with the cinder block and cedar combination ala pinterest and are ever so happy with how it turned out. and under a total of thirteen dollars i'd say it's a real winner. but next time cinder blocks are involved, i shall wait patiently for my strong, uncomplaining husband to get home so he may kindly lug them up three flights. whew, that was a doozy.
to make, purchase basic 4 cinder blocks & 1 treated cedar plank (8 inches by 8 feet) cut in half at your local home depot. the rest is, well, pretty simple. fill it with botanical whimsy and old coffee cans!
Gorgeous pictures. I love those sorts of shelves, my grandma had one she used as a bookshelf and I would hide things in the blocks. I wish I could garden but I seem to be terrible at it. I've even managed to kill succulents! Ha!
ReplyDeleteI love it! You will have so much fun with that this spring/summer :)
ReplyDeleteLove this! I have really similar plans for my back deck which gets hardly any sunlight. How much light does your porch get? I need some good shade loving plant suggestions!
ReplyDelete